Painting the Landscape
in-person painting workshop in Sarasota with Lucy Barber
Registration for this workshop has ended.
You will learn the essential structures needed to establish successful landscape painting, over the course of three days.
The Essentials are:
- understanding how to use “spatial zones” near to far in landscape
- understanding how to use shape and value contrast to emphasize those spatial zones
- how to use color combined with these things to create sensitive qualities of light and atmosphere within the space of your landscape paintings.
- paint application
DATES & TIME: December 1, 2, 3, 2022 (Thursday - Saturday). 9:30am - 1:30pm
WHERE: 2225 6th Street, Sarasota, FL 34237. [Virginia Hoffman Studio]
This workshop takes place over three consecutive days: December 1, 2 and 3, 2022. Each day is 4 hours, 9:30am-1:30pm; total of 12 hours workshop time. Class limit, 15 students.
- We'll focus on how to effectively work from photography reference without looking like we're "copying" a photo.
- Composition, color, landscape space, aerial perspective and more will be covered.
- Inspired by a masterwork landscape: understanding compositional structure, using drawing to understand the structure of a successful landscape composition.
- We continue with color, working from photography reference supplied in the workshop.
- We will devote a partial day to all the ins-and-outs and how-tos for all you need, to prepare for plein-air painting.
This is a great opportunity to work closely in-person with Lucy.
What students are saying...
"Lucy is an incredibly talented artist and is equally talented as a teacher. Her classes go deep and no matter where you are in the learning process she gives new meaning and insights to the process. I especially value her simplicity in how to creatively approach and explore a subject as a way to finding its beauty."
"Lucy is a wonderful teacher who approaches the student/ fellow artist with gentleness, quiet intuition and profound skill. She meets you at your level and guides you ahead with expertise and deep knowledge of her art, inspiring you to explore your own talents. She is a wonderful teacher who shows you how to see, discern and experience art in all its forms. I cannot recommend her enough!"
Frequently Asked Questions:
What level student is this workshop for?
Is there a supply list?
Will we use oils or acrylics?
Do I need to bring photography reference?
Is there a cancellation policy?
What if I have other questions?
Any suggestions for where to stay?
"Lucy Barber has a talent that not every skilled artist can claim -- she is a born teacher, with the ability not only to communicate complex aesthetic concepts, but to inspire others to reach deep and find their own personal artistic expressions. ...art is a personal language, yet Lucy is able to understand the aspirations of others and transform her own formidable talent into something that every student can readily apprehend and emulate. Brava, Lucy!"
"Lucy teaches all you need to know about oil painting with step-by-step lessons In her course, Jumpstart Painting Essentials. As a beginner, I appreciate the thorough and clear lessons; Lucy is a talented, experienced, patient, and kind teacher. What I’ve learned in the painting course is giving me the knowledge and confidence to pursue my dream of becoming an artist."
More from what students are saying...
Workshop closed (Dec 1-3, 2022)