- Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, Brooklyn, N.Y. MFA Painting. Graduated with Honors, received graduate fellowship in painting.
- Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, N.Y., BFA Photography / fine arts. Graduated with Honors.
SOLO EXHIBITIONS / Two-Person Exhibitions
- 12 x 12 Observed,two-person show, Origami Air Art Gallery, Sarasota, FL. 2018
- The Way I See It, A Nested Unfolding, Sarasota Bay Club Gallery, Sarasota, FL. 2015
- Paintings, Burns Court Cafe, Sarasota, FL. 2015, 2014
- Paintings and Drawings,Mow Hall Gallery, Riverdale Country School, Bronx, NY. 2006
- Paintings of Italy,The Painting Center Project Room, New York, NY. 2004
- Recent Paintings, Denise Bibro Gallery, New York, NY. 2002
- Landscape Views In And Around Portland, Davidson & Daughters Gallery, Portland, ME. 2000
- Paintings and Drawings, Andrews Gallery, The College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA. 1997
- Landscape Paintings, First Street Gallery, New York, NY. 1992
- Out of Scale, There, New York City, NYC, NY. June 2022.
- For the Love of Chardin; Zeuxis artists. Traveling exhibition, June-Nov 2022, color catalog. The Miller Art Museum, WI (June); First Street Gallery, NYC, NY (Oct)
- Distance and Arrival: Petticoat Painters, June 2022, Willis Smith Gallery, Ringling College, Sarasota, FL.
- Enduring Paths:The Petticoat Collective, Dunedin Fine Arts Center, Dunedin, FL 2022
- Women’s Work:The Petticoat Collective, Crescendo Gallery, Art Ovation Hotel, Sarasota FL 2020.
- 25th Anniversary Exhibition, The Painting Center, New York, NY. 2019.
- INTRO: Summer Invitational, GAZE Modern Gallery, Sarasota, FL 2019.
- Florida’s Finest, Art Center Sarasota, 2019. Juror: Chris Jones, Ringling Museum of Art.
- RISD Faculty Exhibition, Woods-Gerry Gallery, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence RI. July, 2017.
- Observation-Reference-Gesture,Willis Smith Gallery, Ringling College of Art & Design, Sarasota. 2016
- Wish You Were Here, Annual Postcard Show, A.I.R. Gallery, Brooklyn, NY. 2016
- Recent Paintings (2014), and Winter Roses for February(2015), Burns Court Café, Sarasota, Fl. 2014, 2015
- Art Center Gallery,Sarasota, FL. 2015
- Faculty Exhibiton,Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, 2014, 2012
- Lois Dodd, My Students, Firehouse Gallery, Damariscotta, ME. 2012
- The Common Object, Zeuxis travelling exhibition, 2010-2012, color catalog available.
- Faculty Exhibition, Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, Fl. 2009
- Small Takes, First Street Gallery, New York, NY. 2008
- Outside the Box: Zeuxis Paints the Landscape.Delaware College of Art & Design, Wilmington, DE. 2008
- On Board. Lori Bookstein Gallery, NYC. 2007
- A Salon Show with Henri Matisse and…Ober Gallery, Kent, CT. 2006
- Still Life, Center for Maine Contemporary Art, Rockport, ME. 2006
- Facets of Perception,Zeuxis traveling exhibition: Weigand Gallery, CA; Newhouse Center, Staten Island, NY; Scweinfurth Art Center, Auburn, NY; Eleanor White Museum, Roanoke, VA; Alexandre Hogue Gallery, Tulsa OK. Color Catalog available. 2006-2007
- Poetic Dimensions in Modern Still Life, Zeuxis traveling exhibition: Hofstra University Museum, Hempstead, NY; Kouros Gallery, NYC; DuPont Gallery, Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA. 2005
- Artists Talk, Gallery at Lyme Academy College of Fine Art, Old Lyme, CT. 2004
- Spring Invitational Exhibition. Neptune Fine Art Gallery, New York, NY. 2004
- Table Top Arenas. Zeuxis traveling exhibition: Colby College, Museum of Art, Waterville, ME; Lori Bookstein Gallery, New York, NY; University of New Hampshire Art Gallery, Durham, NH; Cantor Fitzgerald Gallery, Haverford, PA; Ohr-O’keefe Museum of Art, Biloxi, Miss. Color catalogue available. 2004
- Human Presence. Zeuxis exhibition, Acquinas College Gallery, Grand Rapids, MI. 2004
- Biennial Exhibition, Center for Maine Contemporary Art, Rockport, ME. 2004
- Holiday Group Show. Elan Fine Arts, Rockland, ME. 2004
- Up Front, Elan Fine Arts, Rockland, ME. 2004
- Italian landscape, Lucy Barber and John Moore. Cimabue Gallery, Montecastello di Vibio, PG, Italy. 2003
- A Moveable Feast. Westbeth Gallery, New York, NY. 2003
- Works on Paper. Pennsylvania Academy Gallery, Philadelphia, PA. 2003
- 2003 Portland Museum of Art Biennial. Portland, ME. 2003
- New York Collection, 2002. Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo, NY. 2002-03
- Small Treasures. HBO Corporate Gallery, HBO World Headquarters, New York, NY. 2003
- Still Life, Art Access Gallery, Bexley, OH. 2002
- Summer Group Exhibition. Denise Bibro Gallery, New York, NY. 2002
- Plein-Air Revisited. Landscape paintings. Andrews Gallery, College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA. 2002
- Uncommon Perspectives: A Collaborative Still Life Project. Traveling exhibition: Denise Bibro Gallery, New York, NY; Hermitage Foundation Museum, Norfolk, VA; Washington Art Association, Washington, CT. 2002-03
- Prospects: 6 Painters and the Landscape. Denise Bibro Gallery, New York, NY. 2002
- Still Lives: A Tradition Retold. The Saco Museum, Saco, ME. 2002
- Bowdoin Art Department Faculty Exhibition. Icon Gallery Contemporary Art, Brunswick, ME. 2002
- 2001 Portland Museum of Art Biennial, Portland, ME. Jurors: David Driskell, painter; Cheryl Brutvan, curator, MFA, Boston; Nina Nielsen of Nielson Gallery, Boston, MA. 2001
- Summer Show, The Painting Center, New York, NY. 2001
- Serial Thinking. Still life paintings. Traveling exhibition: Kouros Gallery, New York, NY; University Art Gallery, Wright State University, Dayton, OH; Purdue University Art Gallery, West Lafayette, IN. Color catalogue available. 2001-02
- Zeuxis / Still Life, Richard Stockton College Art Gallery, Pamona, NJ. 2001
- Still Life. Rittenhouse Fine Art, Philadelphia, PA. 2001
- Winter Show. The Painting Center, New York, NY. 2000
- Still Life Paintings. Olson Larsen Galleries, West Des Moines, IA. 2000
- Small Works Invitational. Blue Mountain Gallery, New York, NY. 2000
- Negotiating Time: Faculty 2000 Exhibition. Institute of Contemporary Art, Maine College of Art, Portland, ME. 2000
- Maine College of Art: Faculty Vision at the Millennium, River Tree Arts Galleries, Kennebunk, ME. 2000
- Small Works, 23rd Juried Exhibition. 80 Washington Square East Galleries, New York University, New York, NY. Juror: Tricia Collins of Tricia Collins Contemporary Art, New York, NY. 2000
- Still Life, Bachelier-Cardonsky Gallery, Kent, CT. 2000
- Still Life: The Human Presence. Traveling exhibition. University Art Gallery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI; Peninsula Fine Arts Center, Newport News, VA; Courtyard Gallery, Washington, DC; Erector Square Gallery, New Haven, CT; The Painting Center, New York, NY. Color catalog available. 1999-2000
- Maine College of Art Summer Faculty Exhibition, A.J. Bueche Fine Art, Northeast Harbor, ME. 2000
- Distilled Life / Zeuxis, Prince Street Gallery, New York, NY. 1999
- Passages: Small Landscapes. Maine Coast Artists, Rockport, ME. 1999
- 171st Annual Exhibition. National Academy of Design, New York, NY. 1999
- Zeuxis At Marywood, Contemporary Gallery, Marywood University, Scranton, PA. 1999
- Still Life, Bromfield Art Gallery, Boston, MA. 1999
- Zeuxis / Still Life, Butler Gallery, Marymount College, Tarrytown, NY. 1999
- Almost New To Town, Davidson & Daughers Contemporary Art, Portland, ME. 1999
- Small Works, 21st Juried Exhibition. 80 Washington Square East Galleries, New York University, New York, NY. Juror: Ealan Wingate, Director, Gagosian Gallery, New York, NY. 1998
- Zeuxis: Small Works. Sherman Gallery, Boston University, Boston, MA. 1998
- 7th Faculty Show. Muscarelle Museum of Art, The College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA. 1998
- Zeuxis, An Association of Still life Painters with Guests. Erector Square Gallery, New Haven, CT. 1998
- Second Annual Small Works Invitational, Blue Mountain Gallery, New York, NY. 1998
- Small Works. Peninsula Fine Arts Center, Newport News, VA. 1998
- One Thing On Top of Another. Kerygma Gallery, Ridgewood, NJ. 1998
- Object Lessons. The Loomis Chaffee School Gallery, Windsor, CT. 1997
- Thresholds, Reflections, Transformations. The Gallery at Kohn, Pedersen, Fox, New York, NY. 1996
- 171st Annual Exhibition. National Academy of Design, New York, NY. 1996
- Out of the Ordinary, Contemporary Still Life Painting. Marymount Manhattan College Gallery, New York, NY. 1996
- Two-person Show. Jewett Exhibition Corridor, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH. 1996
- Foundation Faculty Exhibition. Pratt Manhattan Gallery, New York, NY. 1995
- Art in Embassies. American Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus, U.S. Dept. of State. Color catalog available. 1995
- Intimate Spaces, Zeuxis. Gallery II, Blair Academy, Blaristown, NJ. 1995
- Landscape Paintings. The Putney School Gallery, Putney, VT. 1995
- Landscape: Works by Women Artists. Centennial Campus Gallery, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA. 1994
- Landscape Paintings. Salena Gallery, Long Island University, Brooklyn, NY. 1994
- 169th Annual Exhibition. National Academy of Design, New York, NY. 1994
- American Landscapes. Two-person show.The Richard Stockton College Art Gallery, Pomona, NJ. 1994
- Recent Landscape Paintings. Courtyard Gallery, Washington, DC. 1994
- Still Life. First Story Gallery, Louisville, KY. 1994
- Recent Oils. Courtyard Gallery, The Washington Studio School, Washington, D.C. 1994
- Small Works. Denise Bibro Fine Arts, Juror: Gerrit Henry, art critic. 1993
- Five Contemporary Realists. Asage Gallery, Brooklyn, NY. 1993
- The Art of Discovery. Krasdale Art Gallery, New York, NY. 1993
- Blue Mountain Gallery First Street Gallery Prince Street Gallery. The Trenton City Museum, Trenton, NJ. 1993
- Highlights: Contemporary Art from the Brown-Forman Collection. Actors Theater, Louisville, KY. 1993
- National Juried Competition. Bowery Gallery, New York, NY. Juror: Louis Finkelstein. 1992
- National Competition. juror Paul Georges, First Street Gallery, New York, NY. 1992
- Something Old Something New. First Street Gallery, New York, NY. 1992
- Through a Glass Darkly. First Street Gallery, New York, NY. 1992
- Alienation in the Industrial Landscape. First Street Gallery, New York, NY. 1991
- Unexposed: New Gallery Artists. First Street Gallery, New York, NY. 1991
- You Can’t Do That, You’re A Girl. The YMCA Gallery, Brooklyn, NY. 1991
- Juried Show. New Jersey Center for Visual Arts, Summit, NJ. 1990
- Still Life Show. Ammo Artist's Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, 1990
- Lennart Anderson Selects. National Juried Competition. First Street Gallery, New York, NY. 1990
- Master of Fine Art Exhibition. Westbeth Gallery 1, New York, NY. 1989
SELECTED CORPORATE & PRIVATE COLLECTIONS
Bates College Museum of Art, Lewiston, ME
Brown-Forman, Inc., Louisville, KY
Bryn Mawr College, Scott Memorial Study Collection, Brywn Mawr, PA
General Electric Corporation
Lee Beltzer, Brooklyn, NY
Lenox, Inc., Lawrenceville, NJ
Christine Neptune, Neptune Fine Arts, NYC
Pfizer Incorporated, New York, NY
United States Department of State
Numerous private collections
SELECTED REVIEWS & PUBLICATIONS
Marty Fugate, Sarasota Herald Tribune, review “Observation-Reference-Gesture,” Willis Smith Gallery, Ringling College of Art & Design, Sarasota. 2016
Maureen Mullarkey, The New York Sun. July 2007. “On Board” at Lori Bookstein Gallery.
The New York Times, New York, NY:
- Helen Harrison, “Poetic Dimensions in the Modern Still Life.” March 2005
- Ken Johnson, “Serial Thinking,” New York Exhibition. July 2001.
- Holland Cotter, National Academy of Design's 171st National Juried Exhibit. August 17, 1996 (end of article).
- Holland Cotter, review of Barber’s first solo exhibition. September 18, 1992
The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA. Victoria Donohoe, January 30, 2005. “Tabletop Arenas.”
Philip Isaacson, Maine Sunday Telegram, Portland, ME. November 30, 2003. “Maine Seen” at Center for Maine Contemporary Art, Rockport, ME.
Art New England, Aug/Sept 2003. “Zeuxis: Uncommon Perspectives” at Attleboro Museum, Attleboro, MA.
AWARDS AND APPOINTMENTS
Halo Artists’ Fellowship Grant, Sarasota, FL. 2022, 2021.
Merit Award, Art Center Gallery, Sarasota, Fl. 2015
Good Idea Grants, Maine Arts Commission, Augusta, ME. For web site development and study of the human figure. 2003-2005
Rusak Fund Coastal Studies Research Grant, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME. "Observing Coastal Change, Representing Sense of Place." 2002
Faculty Research Fund Grants, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME. “Landscape Painting in Umbria, Italy,” “Form and Meaning: Study of The Human Figure.” 2002-2003
Coastal Studies Scholar-In-Residence, Coastal Studies Center, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME. Stipend/grant awarded. 2001
Pollock-Krasner Foundation Grants. Pollock-Krasner Foundation, New York, NY. Two grants to support studio work. 2001, 1994
Grumbacher Award & Gold Medal, 169th Annual Exhibition, National Academy of Design, NY, NY. 1994
Critics Grant (Lois Dodd), scholarship for month-long residency, Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT. 1990
Readers Digest Fellowship, awarded while in residence, Millay Colony for the Arts, Austerlitz, NY. 1989
Graduate Fellowship In Painting, Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY. 1988
Charles G. Shaw Award in Painting, Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY. 1987
TEACHING AND WORKSHOPS
- Lucy Barber Art Studio – 2003-present. Teaching online (since 2017) and in workshops. Independent artist teaching in studio, 2003 – present.
- ACE/SCTI Sarasota, FL. 2014-2020 - Taught: Drawing Essentials, Painting, Color, Drawing with Color Pencils
- Workshops, Classes, Private teaching, in-studio and on location in the Northeast and Sarasota, FL 2003 – present. Still-life and Landscape Painting, Drawing.
- Venice Art Center Venice, FL 2020. Taught: Landscape Painting, Color Pencil
- Rhode Island School of Design Providence, RI - June – August 2017. Taught Painting Fundamentals to college-age students, a 6-week, 72 hours intensive class, taught two weekend painting workshops.
- Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, FL 2008 - 2015
- Instructor CSSP, Figure Drawing, Still-life and Landscape Painting, Figure Collage, . 2012 - 2015. Teach to adults and high school age students.
- Instructor, Figure Drawing, Studio Drawing and Painting Wildacres Retreat Center,NC. A special program of Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, FL. Fall Session, 2013 & 2014
- Full-Time Visiting Artist (2008-2009), Adjunct Professor (2010-2011), Taught in the degree program to full-time college students, Drawing, Figure Drawing, Color
- Art Center Manatee, Bradenton, FL. 2016 – present. Painting, Portrait Drawing, Color Pencil.
- State College of Florida,Bradenton, FL - Adjunct Professor. Drawing I and Drawing II - Spring and Fall, 2013
- University of Tampa, Tampa, FL - Visiting Adjunct Professor. Intro to Design. 2009
- Riverdale Country School, Riverdale, NY - Studio Art Teacher/Upper and Middle School students. Drawing, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Ceramics. 2005-2008
- Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts,Lyme, CT - Visiting Artist. Landscape Painting and Color Workshop. March 2004 and September 2004
- Bowdoin College,Brunswick, ME - Visiting Assistant Professor, two-year appointment. Landscape Painting, Drawing I & II, Painting. 2001-2003
- Maine College of Art, Portland, ME - Assistant Professor. First Year Painting, Foundation Drawing, Junior Painting. 1998-2000
- College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA - Visiting Assistant Professor. Painting I, II & III, Foundation Drawing. 1997-1998
- Pratt Institute,Brooklyn, NY - Visiting Assistant Professor. Foundation Light, Color & Design. 1995-1997
- International School of Painting, Drawing, and Sculpture,Umbria, Italy. - Painting Instructor, Landscape Painting June-July 2003
- South Portland, ME School District,South Portland, ME - Independent Art Teacher and Consultant to at-risk High School Age students. 2000-2001
- Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY - Instructor. Drawing, 1996
- State University of New York At Farmingdale, Farmingdale, NY - Adjunct Assistant Professor. Intermediate Drawing, 2D Design, Spring and Fall, 1995